For patients battling Leukemia, Lymphoma and Myeloma a consistent supply of blood is a necessity. HEADstrong founder Nicholas Colleluori required multiple blood transfusions during his battle with non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma which inspired the foundation to partner with the American Red Cross to host blood and bone marrow drives.
Annually the HEADstrong Foundation hosts their most successful drive held the day after Thanksgiving from 8am – 2pm at the Ridley Community Center in Folsom, PA.
We are pleased to announce that over the past 5 years 641 units of blood were donated. This blood went on to help save the lives of approximately 1900 local hospital patients! Additionally, our bone marrow drive has resulted in several successful matches allowing patients to receive a transplant.
During this time of giving, we are very happy to be able to give back by sponsoring these programs.
There is a vital need for blood and bone marrow donations. You have the ability to save someone’s life.
Giving blood is easy; please think about joining us next year because:
- You can help other people.
- One unit of blood can help save the lives of 3 people.
- It’s safe and only takes about 15 minutes.
- Every 2 seconds someone needs blood.
- One out of every 10 people admitted in a hospital needs blood.
- 38,000 units are needed daily.
- More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
*(Facts about blood needs according to the American Red Cross)
Be the Match!
Why is there a need for people to join the Be The Match Registry?
Thousands of patients with leukemia and other life-threatening diseases depend on the Be The Match RegistrySM to find a match to save their life. Patients need donors who are a genetic match. Even with a registry of millions, many patients cannot find a match. To learn more, visit http://marrow.org.